Sunday 13 November 2016

WEEKLY DEVOTIONAL, 13 NOVEMBER. "THE NAMES OF GOD (PART 4)"

JEHOVAH SHAMMAH

Hi, everyone. I hope you had a superb week and that you saw Jehovah Jireh work in your life. This week we will look at Jehovah Shammah.

Jehovah Shammah means, "The Lord is There."

Ezekiel 48:35 "The distance around the entire city will be 6 miles. And from that day the name of the city will be ‘The Lord is There' ".  (NLT)

This scripture was written right at the end of Ezekiel's prophecy. In essence, the Lord was reassuring the people that his presence would be in the New Jerusalem forever.

Let us narrow this down to our Christian lives. When we accept Christ, he changes our hearts. He takes over our lives and dwells within us. We become ’new’.

Galatians 2:20 "My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. " (NLT)

If Christ lives in you, does it mean his presence is with you? Of course! He is constantly there with you.

Below are some verses from the Old Testament that speak of the Lord’s presence.

Exodus 33:14 "The Lord replied, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." (NIV)

The Lord said these words to Moses just before the Israelites left Egypt for the promised land. Moses was faced with a difficult task and needed to know that God would be with him all through.

Genesis 28:15 "What's more, I am with you, and I will protect you wherever you go. One day I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have finished giving you everything I have promised you." (NLT)

God spoke the words above to Jacob just after being sent away by his father, Isaac. How encouraging.

As a Christian, remember that because Christ lives in you, his presence goes with you wherever you go.

Deuteronomy 31:8 "Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will  be with you, he will neither fail you nor abandon you."(NLT)

Let us conclude with these beautiful words from Psalm 139.

Psalm 139:7-10 "I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence! If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there. If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me." (NLT)


Have a great week ahead. May Jehovah Shammah be with you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment