Monday 10 October 2016

WEEKLY DEVOTIONAL, 10TH OCTOBER - "ARE YOU AFRAID?"

Fear is something that we all experience from time to time. Many of us fear death, the unknown, snakes, bugs, poverty, and many other things. Personally, I am afraid of failure. 

What is fear?

Fear is an emotion caused by the idea that someone or something is dangerous. It is the feeling of being afraid. 

Our Father has lots to say about fear and being afraid. We need to look at His word to see what he says.

Isaiah 41:10 "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. " (NLT)

The Lord says we shouldn't be afraid because he is right there. Don't let discouragement pull you down, because he is there to strengthen and help you.

Psalm 56:3 "When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you." (NLT)

God acknowledges our fears and gives a solution. We need to trust in him when we find ourselves feeling afraid.

Psalm 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation - so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?" (NLT)

The Lord is my light, salvation, and fortress. He shows me the way to go, rescues me from danger and protects me from evil. Wow.

Psalm 23:4 "Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me." (NLT)

The dark valley is a place we all pass through at one point in our lives. The Lord promises to be our closest companion when as we walk through it. 

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (NLT)

Fear doesn't come from God.He, however, acknowledges that we experience it often. God invites us to look to him for strength to overcome our fears. He invites us to receive power, self-discipline, and love from him.

It's normal to be afraid. We, however, need to learn how to handle our fears in a way that gives us peace and gives God glory. 

The next time you feel afraid, remember that God is right there with you. He will direct, protect and strengthen you. You just need to put your trust in him.

Let us end with this verse that summarizes what we've discussed.

Joshua 1:9 " This is my command- be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (NLT)

Have a great week ahead! 


No comments:

Post a Comment